I listened to my iTunes at random and typed up the first lines of the first thirty songs I heard. Some are tough and some are really easy. If you recognize one, leave a comment with the title and artist. And don't cheat and look the lines up on Google!
When correct answers are posted in comments, I'll cross-out the lyrics in the actual post.
3. I got tired, I killed it through and through. I don’t wanna make the same mistakes, the same mistakes with you.
ANSWER: Jon Brion - "Mistakes"
4. As I stumble into bed, I curse the devil in my head. And if I die before I wake, I hope the Lord won’t hesitate the pluck my coffin from the ground, He need not heed the neighbors now. And throw me up for all to see, the flies of August swarming me.
ANSWER: Liz Phair - "Ride"
8. Slavin’ away, all for you, my love. And I’ve nothing to show for it, ‘cept my dusty old book full of pictures. Dusty old book, tell me a story about how I wasn’t so tired from my slavin’ away.
ANSWER: Fiery Furnaces - "Slavin' Away"
12. The clouds starting forming, five o’clock PM. A tunnel cloud touched down five miles north of Russellville.
ANSWER: Drive-By Truckers - "Tornadoes"
19. When you wake up feeling old at this piano filled with souls, some strange purse stuffed nervous with gold. Can you be where you want to be?
ANSWER: Wilco - "When You Wake Up Feeling Old"
20. You’re everything you need and so you fight. You take them on your own until you die. The wisdom in your breath comes much to late. And everyone you see just gets a face.
ANSWER: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - "Still Suspicion Holds You Tight"
21. Baby was a black sheep. Baby was a whore. Baby got big and baby get bigger.
ANSWER: Patti Smith - "Rock & Roll Nigger"
22. Thought you were the only fish in the sea. Thought you were the only leaf on my tree. Thought that you would miss me when we took that walk. Thought you were the only paint on my wall.
ANSWER: Be Your Own Pet - "Love Your Shotgun"
24. A single rose in the garden dwells. Like any rose it’s not itself. It is my love in your garden grows, but let’s pretend it’s just a rose.
ANSWER: Magnetic Fields - "I'm Sorry I Love You"
25. Well I came upon a child of God. He was walking along the road and as I asked him, “Tell me, where are you going?” And this he told me:
ANSWER: Joni Mitchell or CSN&Y - "Woodstock"
27. My name should be trouble, my name should be woe. For trouble and heartbreak is all that I know.
ANSWER: Conway Twitty - "Danny (Lonely Blue Boy)"
29. My arms are all twisted. The only thing I miss is. I messed up I missed it. I messed up the missing of you.
ANSWER: Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Mysteries"