Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I'm really excited to see Medea's Family Reunion.*

Woo-hoo! One hundredth post!

Today was exhausting. It's weird that sitting down all day writing names on file folders can be exhausting, but it was. I had to deal with crampy fingers and a co-worker who believes there's an office-wide conspiracy against us temps.

After work I headed down to the Harold Washington Library to see Koren Zailckas read from Smashed. I was excited about meeting her since I refer to her as "my sort of writer friend" (we were sort-of friends because we had only communicated through MySpace). She recognized me when I raised my hand to ask her a question during the Q & A session and said, "Hey!" It was funny.

After the book signing we went to her hotel for dinner at the fanciest place I've ever been. We had thirty-dollar dinners. Neither of us finished them because they were complicated and had lots of food that we didn't like mixed in with the stuff we did like, but it was paid for so it was okay. I was happy that she's so nice and down-to-earth. I asked her if she had a concept of how famous she was and she was like, "I'm NOT famous." Eh, her book is on the New York Times bestseller's list so I think she's sorta famous.

Anyway, we talked about writing, Mississippi, books we like, and James Frey, who she exchanged emails addresses with before the scandal broke. It was fun meeting up with her and chatting.

I should go to bed because I'm tired. This whole 9 to 5 thing isn't that wonderful. Duh.





*This is a lie.

No comments: