I woke up this morning a little after eight, which is usually when I get on the train at the Southport stop. Luckily, panic-mode sets me into overdrive, and I jumped out of bed, threw on nice pants and a sweater, brushed my teeth, and slammed my bedroom door a couple of times (Janna sleeps through her alarm worse than I do - she'll let it buzz for over an hour and I discovered that if I shut my door loud enough she'll wake up and turn it off). I managed to get out the door at a reasonable time, make it to the train, AND STILL get to work ten minutes early.
Even though I managed to get to work, albeit looking a little frazzled, I've come up with a list of people who I blame for making me oversleep this morning:
1. Curtis Sittenfeld, for writing Prep, which I was reading after midnight last night.
2. My friend Lisa, for letting me borrow Prep and convincing me that it wasn't just trashy Chick-Lit.
3. The people in the MAPH department with whom I'm meeting tomorrow in Hyde Park for intimidating me so much that I am too embarrassed to be seen with a copy of Prep and forcing me to finish the book before tomorrow morning.
4. The people at Apple, for fixing my computer so damn fast. If I didn't spend five hours on my computer last night, I would have found more time to read Prep, and then I wouldn't have to stay up until after midnight reading it.
5. Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, who gave me nightmares about their "baby".
6. Patrick Dempsey. Because I HATE HIM. HE'S THE WORST ACTOR ON THAT SHOW AND I HATE HIS STUPID FACE.
7. Chipotle, because I haven't mentioned Chipotle's tacos nearly enough in the last week.
8. My mother, who is the root of all my problems. She doesn't read this, but if she did, she'd be happy to know that I'm still a child and blaming her for everything.