Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Sweating the small stuff, etc.

I'm only bitter because it's Valentine's Day on principle. I've never really cared very much about it, either way, probably because I've never been in a relationship ON Valentine's Day. The only time I really had a memorable holiday was junior year when Megan and I watched Morvern Collar, which was really bad so we were like, "Let's make out." I doubt I'll have the same luck tonight.

Anyway, this is just a shitty day that just happens to also be Valentine's Day, and frankly, I have other stuff to deal with. Like, for example, how my new boss told me yesterday that, no, he's not actually going to move me under a new manager and give me an office like he told he was last week. (I'm beginning to see a pattern here with the way I'm delivered my news.) This is fine, because this plot was just a way to butter me up and make me stay, since he freaked out slightly when he found out I was looking for a new job (why else would he offer me AN OFFICE?).

This weekend we're showing the apartment to get a new roommate, which I'm not particularly excited about, but it has to be done. At this point, I'm no longer nervous about living with a stranger, because I've done it and it sucks but I'm just going to have to deal with it.

And more importantly, my father is having the first of two surgeries today, and he's going to be in the hospital in Richmond for the next two weeks. All of this is really sudden and scary, especially since there are tests to be done after the second surgery that affects what happens after this week, and I'm really upset that I'm not home right now. I'm trying to stay positive because my parents are doing a pretty good job at being optimistic (at least they seem like it over the phone). And I'm so self-aware of my own frustrations that seem to be piling up on top of each other all at once, and I realize that I tend to freak out when faced with all of this bullshit.

So I've got to keep positive and be excited about little things, like how I'm hanging out with friends tonight, and how maybe we can find a roommate that's really cool and turns out to be a new friend, and how both Andrew Bird and The Arcade Fire announced tour dates that include Chicago. And hey, at least I don't look like this anymore:
Woof.

No comments: