Monday, May 22, 2006

Sigh.,,sjsiuuUGGGasdfUGHIasdofuerp8w!!

Did you think I could possibly not write a fourth post today? Because I thought I could. I left work a half-hour early, had a pleasent trip home on the train, poured myself a robust glass of red wine (I know that word doesn't really fit there but I WANT IT TO SO JUST DEAL WITH IT I'M ANGRY), and started to "surf the net" as the kids say. And then I found this website.

"Calling all free thinkers, contrarians, and malcontents. The time has come to rise against the iTatorship. To resist the monotony of white earbuds and reject the oppressive forces of cultural conformity."

SHUT UP.

For about three seconds, I thought this was a legitimate anti-Apple website. It was linked off of Pitchfork, after all, so I thought it was just a bunch of music nerds who hate everything except for bands with names you can't pronounce making some "statement" about how our culture is all, uh, iBrainwashed?

Then I realized this is an ad for some shitty mp3 player. Then I clicked on the "alternatives" link.

"So here it is. The Sansa e200. And listen, it's not just our style to be pushy, cheesey, sales hacks."

Right.

So basically some advertising guy came up with this genius (hey, I'm not being sarcastic when I use that word) ad campaign. "I know what the kids want. They want to stand out. They don't want to look like everyone else. Let's make them hate iPods by posting deflamatory, 'indie' propaganda messages on boards. We'll call people with iPods 'iTools' and "iSheep". It'll really bring the young people in!"

So there you have it. Advertising posing as activism.

Suck.

No comments: