Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Who doesn't love to watch a train wreck that results in a burning bridge?

I'm at work and I'm already wishing I had another three-day holiday. My stupid ocular herpes swollen eye hasn't gone away yet, despite my regular use of Visine. (Watching me trying to put eyedrops in my eye is not a pleasant experience. I thought Nicole was going to tell me to grow some balls so she could kick them. Well, that's what I would say to myself if I had to watch me putting eyedrops in my eye.)

[Sidenote: this reminds me of my employee orientation when the benefits guy said, during a discussion of the vision plan, that he doesn't use contacts because, "There are two parts of my body that I won't touch and my eyes are one of them." He quickly followed this with, "I don't know why I just said that." Think about it.]

Anyway, while I'm aggravated with my eyes, and (speak of the Devil) the benefits people who won't answer their phones to tell me why, exactly, I cannot enroll for my health insurance, I figured I'd write another blog post about some things that have been bothering me lately: friends, and my lack of them.

I realize that moving to a brand-new city changes the way you do things. For example, I can't get a job because my parents know somebody. Believe me, I learned this. I also can't meet new people as well as I did in college. Since friendships are usually based on a common interest, I've had trouble building friendships because I don't particularly share a common interest with people I'm around all day. I mean, we've got the proximity thing down. I see people around me every day and say hello. I've started to open up more with a couple of the student workers since they're closer in age, and I like them and am jealous of them because they're only twenty and have TWO YEARS left of college.

I was lucky to move here with a few friends from school and meet some people through them. Some of them I see all the time and others I see less frequently. And I like my friends, I do. But you know how if you eat, oh, I don't know, Bagel Bites every night for dinner for weeks? You'd get tired of Bagel Bites and you'd have to not eat them for a long time, probably until the store near your house has a Crazytown sale where Bagel Bites are ONE DOLLAR A BOX and you go crazy again because you really miss Bagel Bites. Well, that's how I feel about the people I'm around all of the time. It's not that I don't like them or don't like being around them, it's just that you need variety. You can't eat Bagel Bites every night for dinner. You should eat a salad sometimes, or pasta, or a bowl of Crispix when things are really rough because it's just comforting.

I miss Harrisonburg for this reason. I was lucky enough to surround myself with wonderful people who were all different and members of sometimes distinctly separate circles of friends. This was nice because I got the Bagel Bites and the chicken and the pasta and the Crispix and I never got bored. And, let's say for the sake of argument, that the Bagel Bites and the pasta decided to start doing things without you for whatever reason (perhaps because the Bagel Bites and pasta are just too goddamn incestuous which made you wish that you never put them on the same plate to begin with) and made you feel left out and angry and bitterly hungry for something different, you'd always have the chicken and the Crispix to hang around with. Or eat. Whatever.

The problem now is that it's all just Bagel Bites, and while I like Bagel Bites - I love Bagel Bites - sometimes you get tired of the Bagel Bites. And I don't mean for this to be self-absorbed here. I'm sure if I were Bagel Bites, I'd be tired of being fed to me all the time. Variety is nice. Variety is what we all need.

Unfortunately, it seems that sometimes the Bagel Bites have the variety they need but I don't. It's like the Bagel Bites are in the grocery freezer with the mozzarella sticks and the jalapeno poppers and I'm stuck by myself. And that is why I need more friends. Like turkey, or lasagna.

I've forgotten what this was even supposed to be about. I'm hungry now.

No comments: